Skip to main content

Carbon monoxide poisoning awareness

Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning occurs when too much carbon monoxide builds up in the bloodstream. If you suspect you or someone you know is experiencing CO poisoning, get outside and seek emergency medical care immediately.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning occurs when too much carbon monoxide builds up in the bloodstream. Carbon monoxide is a gas that is produced by burning certain fuels including, but not limited to, coal, oil, charcoal, natural gas and propane. Gas devices such as boilers, furnaces, portable propane space heaters, water heaters, gas and wood stoves and dryers can produce carbon monoxide. Make sure to only use appliances approved for indoor use in your home. If you use any gas appliances inside your home, make sure you have a carbon monoxide monitor. The best monitors to use plug into the wall with battery backup and a digital read out. These monitors will alarm you when the levels of CO reach dangerous levels in your home.

Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, weakness, dizziness, sleepiness, nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath, confusion and loss of consciousness. If you suspect you or someone you know is experiencing CO poisoning, get outside and seek emergency medical care immediately.

If your carbon monoxide alarm is going off or you suspect a leak call Avista at 800-277-9187.

This PSA is brought to you by the 2019-2020 Grande Ronde Hospital Nurse Residents.

Related stories